scatter plot question

  1. #1
    AS
    Guest

    scatter plot question

    I have office 2003. I am using xy scatter plot with sub type data points
    connected by smoothed lines. My problem is the point that should be the
    highest in the graph is actually not. The line always ascend alittle higher
    next to the highest dadum point and then descend. How do you fix this?
    thanks!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: scatter plot question

    Fix it by not using the smoothing option on the lines. The smoothing is an
    artificial fitting, not reflecting the actual data, but only looking pretty.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    AS
    Guest

    Re: scatter plot question

    But I need to use smooth graph because it looks better, and are there any
    ways? thanks.

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: scatter plot question

    "AS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Peltier" wrote:

    >> "AS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >I have office 2003. I am using xy scatter plot with sub type data
    >> >points
    >> > connected by smoothed lines. My problem is the point that should be
    >> > the
    >> > highest in the graph is actually not. The line always ascend alittle
    >> > higher
    >> > next to the highest dadum point and then descend. How do you fix this?
    >> > thanks!

    >> Fix it by not using the smoothing option on the lines. The smoothing is
    >> an
    >> artificial fitting, not reflecting the actual data, but only looking
    >> pretty.

    > But I need to use smooth graph because it looks better, and are there any
    > ways? thanks.

    If you insist on using smoothed lines and you don't like Excel's algorithm,
    you could always generate your own smoothing algorithm, imposing whichever
    constraints you wish to apply. The other point if you must insist on using
    smoothed lines is to make sure you plot the points themselves, rather than
    just the lines between (and preferably make the line dotted to show how
    imaginary it is).
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: scatter plot question

    It looks prettier because it misrepresents your data, which is what prompted
    you to start this thread.

    - Jon
    -------