How to add data outside chart range

  1. #1
    Chris Hughes
    Guest

    How to add data outside chart range

    I'm an excel chart beginner. How do I add data to the data worksheet to
    automatically update the linked chart, when the new data goes outside the
    chart range. Ie, the value axis is Percentage, the existing data goes up to
    40%, and the linked chart's value axis goes up to 40%. If I add data over
    40%, the line goes up off the chart. The chart does not not increase in
    range. I there any way to automtically increase the range shown on the chart,
    or do I have do a new automatic chart? The reason I don't want to do that is
    that I have tweaked a number of automatically created charts, and I don't
    want to have to re-tweak them. (This raises a further question: is there a
    way to add my style to the automatic process? I tried doing that, making it
    the new default, but the charts created were not right.)

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to add data outside chart range

    Double click on the inflexible axis, click on the Scale tab, and check the
    Auto box next to the value you want to unlock.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions