Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves

  1. #1
    LeAnne
    Guest

    Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves

    Hi folks,

    Picture, if you will, an Excel graph with 2 bell-curves plotted on
    it...one curve shows the freqency distribution of measurement values at
    "good," or reference, sites, and the other shows the distribution of
    values at "bad," or impaired, sites. At some point on the graph the
    curves intersect (hopefully at the inflection points, assuming a
    more-or-less normal distribution for both populations of sites). The
    "curves" are actually XY scatterplots with smoothed lines and no
    markers, using data sorted into uniform "bins" generated by Tools | Data
    Analysis | Histogram. Now, I can add vertical lines to the graph to
    show the median (50th %ile) of each distribution using the technique at
    Kelly O'Day's website
    (http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_vertical_line.htm), because I "know"
    (i.e. can calculate) the median value for each pop. But what I would
    *really* like to do is add a vertical line to the chart at the
    intersection point for these 2 curves. I have 21 of these charts (7
    measures, 3 biological regions) and prefer not to have to eyeball all
    those intersection points, then hard-code in the values for each graph
    to make the intersection line. Is this even possible? Or let me phrase
    it another way...is it possible without VB? <crosses fingers>

    Using Excel 97, Win XP.

    tia,

    LeAnne

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves

    Hi,

    This example should help you get the intersecting points.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm

    You could then plot this points and maybe use the error bars to give
    your vertical lines.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    LeAnne
    Guest

    Re: Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves

    Thanks for responding, Andy -

    Yes, I did locate this example on your site before my original post. I
    was desperately hoping there would be some way to accomplish this task
    sans VB. I'm not at all code-savvy, so tweaking someone else's code
    would have been beyond my capabilities. Fortunately for me, on closer
    examination your examples include the needed procedures and seem
    relatively straightforward. If I can get just the X-value of the
    intersection point, I can figure out how to add the vertical line.

    Much obliged,

    LeAnne

  4. #4
    HEK
    Guest

    Re: Add vertical line at intersection of 2 curves

    Leanne:
    Excel can find the intersection of the two bell curves within reasonable
    accuracy - i.e. by adding a best fitting line through your points. Likely
    some polynomial function will do with a good mathematical fit (i guess second
    or third order polynomial might be already accurate enough). Select the data
    series, add trendline and select "display equation on chart" to show you the
    parameters. Repeat for the other series and now you have the two
    mathematical equations for which you can solve the intersection point (this
    could also be done with Excel too). The R-squared value gives you how well
    the trendline fits the data (0 = no fit; 1 = perfect fit). Hope this helps
    you a bit further.
    Good luck, Henk