cannot start the source application for this object in excel

  1. #1
    Philip Mollica
    Guest

    cannot start the source application for this object in excel

    An Excel file created in Excel 2000. It has an organizational chart. Replaced
    computer and running Office 2003 SBE. Can open spreadsheet, but when I
    double-click the chart object to edit, receive a "cannot start the source
    application for this object".
    --
    Philip Mollica
    President

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: cannot start the source application for this object in excel

    The applets which created such things as org charts in Office were changed
    for Office 1003, and apparently the new applets aren't clever enough to open
    the old objects. I imagine it's possible to get back the older applets. I
    did this to get back Photo Editor, which was removed by the Office 2003
    installation. Insert a CD for an older version of Office. Choose custom
    installation, and when you get a shopping list of components, uncheck
    everything except for the item in Office Tools (or similarly named tree
    branch). This should install and register the selected component.

    Let us know if this worked.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Philip Mollica
    Guest

    Re: cannot start the source application for this object in excel

    Sure enough, I installed just the Org Chart from Office 2000 and it allowed
    me to edit the object. Thank you so very much for the quick response!
    --
    Philip Mollica
    President

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: cannot start the source application for this object in excel

    Thanks for verifying that it works. I wasn't 100% certain.

    - Jon
    -------