Histogram?

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    Histogram?

    I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm amazed that
    there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can find
    neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

    What I am trying to do is set-up some a series of bins, then look through a
    column of data to plot the frequency that the data within the range falls
    into each bin as the height of the bars corresponding to the bins.

    Has anybody already solved this problem?

    Thanks,

    Tom

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Histogram?

    Tom -

    The usual chart type for a histogram is the Excel Column chart type.

    Another possibility is the Histogram tool, part of the Analysis ToolPak that
    ships with Excel. Choose Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram | Help for
    details. (If Data Analysis is not an item on your Tools menu, see if it's
    listed at Tools | Add-Ins and check the box. If it's not listed as an
    available add-in, use your Excel/Office CD to install it.)

    And, another possibility is my free Better Histogram add-in, available for
    download from www.treeplan.com.

    Jon Peltier, resident chart guru, may have his Even Better Histogram
    approach available soon. Check his web site for histogram and other chart
    information at http://peltiertech.com.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Histogram?

    On Thu, 25 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Tom <[email protected]> said:

    >I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm amazed that
    >there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can find
    >neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

    It is amazing, isn't it? It's part of how Excel is just generally weak
    on statistics graphing. There's no built-in box-and-whisker plot either
    (don't get me started on how badly Pivot tables support medians,
    quartiles, etc.) There are some tools in the Data Analysis Pak add-in,
    but they're not worth much.

    Use the COUNTIF() function to make a table based on the data set, then
    plot that range.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  4. #4
    Tom
    Guest

    Re: Histogram?

    "Mike Middleton" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:OWcl#[email protected]:

    > Tom -
    >
    > The usual chart type for a histogram is the Excel Column chart type.
    >
    > Another possibility is the Histogram tool, part of the Analysis
    > ToolPak that ships with Excel. Choose Tools | Data Analysis |
    > Histogram | Help for details. (If Data Analysis is not an item on your
    > Tools menu, see if it's listed at Tools | Add-Ins and check the box.
    > If it's not listed as an available add-in, use your Excel/Office CD to
    > install it.)
    >
    > And, another possibility is my free Better Histogram add-in, available
    > for download from www.treeplan.com.
    >
    > Jon Peltier, resident chart guru, may have his Even Better Histogram
    > approach available soon. Check his web site for histogram and other
    > chart information at http://peltiertech.com.
    >
    > - Mike
    > www.mikemiddleton.com
    >
    > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm
    >> amazed that
    >> there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can
    >> find neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.
    >>
    >> What I am trying to do is set-up some a series of bins, then look
    >> through a
    >> column of data to plot the frequency that the data within the range
    >> falls into each bin as the height of the bars corresponding to the
    >> bins.
    >>
    >> Has anybody already solved this problem?
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom

    Thanks, Mike. I tried both. I like yours better.

    --Tom

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Histogram?

    Haven't gotten a chance to post that one yet.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions