Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

  1. #1
    Wil
    Guest

    Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

    When I create a chart in Excel 2007 that is its own sheet, I cannot view it.
    As soon as I move my mouse over top of it my entire screen goes entirely
    blank. It isn't locked up, just the entire screen goes white. I can still
    access the keyboard hotkeys and close excel.

    Is this a known issue? Also, is there a better place to post problems with
    the 2007 beta?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

    There are a jillion issues with Excel 2007 charting. If you have access to
    the BetaPlace newsgroups, use those. Otherwise, there's really no discussion
    forums for Office 2007.

    Maybe you could reply on the Excel 2007 blog:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

    I erred in my previous statement. Microsoft intends for their public
    newsgroups to be used for public Beta 2 questions as well as for questions
    regarding legacy versions of Excel (i.e., up to Excel 2003). I apologize for
    my misstatement.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Wil
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen - solved

    I believe I've solved my own problem:

    I'm currently using an ATI X700 graphics card with dual monitors, running
    ATI's dual monitor management software - Hydravision. It seems Hydravision
    does not like Excel's chart drawing. I think Hydravision listens to windows
    drawing events so that it can reposition windows and draw its own min/max
    icon next to the standard min/max icon. To solve this problem with the screen
    going blank/white, I added Excel to the exclusion list in Hydravision. Its
    too bad I have to do this, as the Hydravision softwared is handy when viewing
    multiple spreadsheets in a large Excel window that spans multiple monitors.

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

    Jon

    I have just posted a formal question in beta groups...is this the definative
    answer? Seems a bit clunky that we are answering beta questions and have
    nowhere to post bugs short of us confirming if they already exist (we don't
    know all) or copying them to betaplace, but we may not be able to replicate
    with our build/os, etc and we need to take the time to give detail..surely
    this will be improved???

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

  6. #6
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2007 Charting causes blank screen

    Hi Nick,

    > I have just posted a formal question in beta groups...is this the
    > definative answer? Seems a bit clunky that we are answering beta
    > questions and have nowhere to post bugs short of us confirming if they
    > already exist (we don't know all) or copying them to betaplace, but we may
    > not be able to replicate with our build/os, etc and we need to take the
    > time to give detail..surely this will be improved???

    This was posted by Bob Buckland, and he has given permission for others to
    use it. I would also add a note to the effect that the public newsgroups
    cater for all versions of (enter product here), so it would be appreciated
    if the product and version were included in the message heading - i.e. Excel
    2007: problem with charting...

    Ed Ferrero

    This is a typical message that I've been using/refining as a start, that may
    be of interest.

    ==== 2007 Office system Beta 2 = Feedback Opportunities =========
    Regarding your question on submitting bugs/suggestions/feedback to Microsoft
    on the publically available 2007 Office system Beta 2 products, it would be
    a heck of an administrative task to have a formal bug reporting system
    (i.e. fill in all the blocks on a form etc) that could be handled, but there
    are several ways for you to make your issues, ideas, concerns and kudos to
    Microsoft for 2007 Office System Beta 2.

    A. From within the Office 2007 apps you can
    1. Click the Microsoft Office Button [File]
    2. Go to the bottom of that menu and select the Options choice.
    3. In the Options - select 'Resources'
    4. Use the 'Contact us' button.
    The web page there has a feedback submission link.

    B. The Apps themselves can help report themselves
    Also, while still in the Options Resources turn on the 'Customer Experience'
    program tool. The data MS gathered from the last version on usage was used
    to set the baseline on what was changed from 2003 to 2007 (including the new
    ribbon User Interface (UI) and that data will continued to used for tuning
    the 2007 version before it is Released to Manufacturing (RTM). The
    information is submitted anonymously by the reporting tool and is an opt-in
    choice for you to make.

    C. More on being part of Usability testing and feedback.
    You may want to consider enrolling in the User Interface improvement efforts
    at
    http://microsoft.com/usability/enroll.mspx

    D. COOL 2007 Office System Beta 2 feedback Tool
    Download and install the MS 'Send a Smile' tool from the Download Center
    at
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...F274Installing Send-a-Smile places two 'smileys' in your system tray. Smile - to capture a picture of and comment on things you like in the new version. Frown - to capture a picture of and comment on how something you're seeing might be improved by changing it.You can capture a screen with a single click and type in details of howyou'd improve the apps for usability different from what you're seeing now(may be helpful to also include info on how you use that particular app on adaily/regular or even infrequent basis to set a context for the peoplereviewing that feedback). After you type it you can send that feedback offto Microsoft where it is reviewed.You can also capture a frown or a smile using the Keyboard. Smile Ctrl+Shift+) [Ctrl+shift+zero key] Frown Ctrl+Shift+( [Ctrl+shift+9]E. The Peer to Peer feedback============================The discussions here in the public MS Office Community/newsgroups news://msnews.microsoft.com orby browser http://microsoft.com/office/communit...fault.mspxYour fellow testers are looking forward to feedback, tips, traps andbasically the experience of you and others with the 2007 Office System apps.Friendly discussions, point/counterpoint etc on how somethings are working,if they're easy to find (even if 'awkward' at first and it would be betterif tweaked by doing xxxx. [going back to the pre 2007 Office System menusisn't an option MS will be offering] <g>. There's a lot to learn, discoverand get comfortable and a growing list of videos, demos and more through thehttp://microsoft.com/office/preview website already and more on the way. - - -Note: In some of the Microsoft hosted newsgroups you may find MS Office teamfolks participating in the threads there, others are likely watching andgathering feedback.Bob Buckland ?:-)MS Office Products MVP