Excel Charts X Axis values as dd/mm/yy hh:mm

  1. #1
    PeterS
    Guest

    Excel Charts X Axis values as dd/mm/yy hh:mm

    I have a table with readings taken at irregular intervals.
    I want the data points to be plotted along a continuous axis but when I try
    to do this all the data appears against the date only and the time is ignored.
    I have tried setting the x axis as time series but this doesn't work.
    I can't change the units to anything but days.
    Can anyone suggest a solution.
    TIA
    PeterS

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Excel Charts X Axis values as dd/mm/yy hh:mm

    Peters:

    You are using a Line chart. Line charts do not let you plot less than 1 day
    intervals.

    I use XY (Scatter) plots for data with hours:minutes.

    I suggest you change your chart type to XY then set your X Axis interval to
    desired start - stop date-time and intervals.

    Excel stores dates as number of days since January 1, 1900. So your dates
    will look like 38867 or something.
    Time is stored as fractions of a day, so 6 AM is 0.25.

    That means that Excel date and time as I write this is 38867.4130. The good
    news is that you can enter 5/29/06 9:54 AM and Excel will recognize it for
    start value.

    You can specify your interval by entering time units. For a 3 hour interval,
    enter 03:00:00 , for 15 minute interval enter 00:15:00 , etc.

    You have complete control over the X axis number format by using the custom
    format option. You can use d:h AM/PM to show day & hr with AM/PM.

    If you just want time, then h AM/PM or h:ss AM/PM.

    I have some examples on my site processtrends.com

    [email protected]

    ...Kelly

    news:[email protected]...