some charts will not show trendlines

  1. #1
    comfuted
    Guest

    some charts will not show trendlines

    I have four identical charts looking at very similar data, three series per
    XY chart. I want trendlines (moving average) on all data series of all
    charts. One chart will not show any, others will show all three, some will
    show some but not all. No error messages, go through procedure of adding
    trendline, but it just doesn't show up. Search for hidden line with cursor,
    doesn't show.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Hi,

    Are the trendlines appearing in the legend?

    Is it possible the trend line is beyond any scaling limits you may have set?

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Gklass
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Is it possible that you have some extra data series -- with blank cells
    -- in these charts?
    scaling limits maybe, but I've never seen that

  4. #4
    comfuted
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Andy:
    Thanks for your response. There are no extra data series in the charts. Each
    of the three listed as series are showing on the chart. There are no blank
    cells in any of the series.

  5. #5
    comfuted
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Andy:
    Thanks for your reply.

    The trendlines show up in the legend whether or not they show up on the
    chart. I have also tried deleting the data series in question (from the
    chart), then reinstalling it, then add a trendline. Same result.

    Scaling is automatic, and there is space above and below the data curve.
    Moving average will never exceed max/min points of basic data.

    Thanks again
    Norman

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Hi Norman,

    If you can email me the file, off newsgroup, I will have a look see.

    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #7
    comfuted
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Andy:
    Thanks, will do.
    Norman

  8. #8
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Hi Norman,

    The problem is that the missing trend lines are not within the x scale
    you are currently displaying.

    Because the series lines are on the secondary axis and you have not
    supplied the range of secondary x axis values the chart is defaulting to
    using 1,2,3,4,5,6...... for the category (X) values.
    As the x axis is in fact dates the range of x values is 38497 to 38874.
    If you use the same range reference for the secondary axis category as
    the primary you trendlines will pop in to view. Use the Source Data
    option when you right click the chart to change this.

    You might want to look at this page which explains how to remove items
    from the legend, which will save you having to build your own.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

  9. #9
    comfuted
    Guest

    Re: some charts will not show trendlines

    Andy:
    Great! Thanks for the help on both issues.
    Norman