Chart data file lost - need to re-create from chart?

  1. #1
    LostExcelData
    Guest

    Chart data file lost - need to re-create from chart?

    I have a chart created by an intern last year, the data to create the chart
    was in a file stored in their temp files and is now lost. When I open that
    chart file the chart still has data in it so I know the file has the data
    stored somewhere in it. Has anyone ever had this issue, and were you able to
    get the data back out of the chart?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart data file lost - need to re-create from chart?

    Hi,

    If the chart series now contains actual values rather than links to
    ranges/cells you could try the following in order to recoup the data.

    Select a series, it's formula should be displayed in the formula bar.
    Something like this,
    =SERIES("series A",{"a","b","c"},{1,2,3},1)

    Some you could copy and paste the formula and then extract the values
    into cells. Another way to get at the same information would be to use
    the Source Data dialog.

    If the chart contains many series then you can use some VBA code to
    extract those values. If you need help with that post back.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel