Recommend a better charting utility (than Excel2003)

  1. #1
    ship
    Guest

    Recommend a better charting utility (than Excel2003)

    Hi

    The charts/graph-making utilities that come as standard with ms Excel
    (2003) are driving me nuts! Can anyone recommend anything better that
    is dirt cheap?!
    Maybe an Excel plug-in or something?

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    P.S. My budget is no more than say GBP 10.00 (or say $US 15.00)

    PPS - Is there anything free from Microsoft??

  2. #2
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Recommend a better charting utility (than Excel2003)

    Ship:

    Sorry to here that excel charting is driving you "nuts". You have come to
    the right place, a good first step.

    There are lots of people here who have gone through the same learning curve
    that you are experiencing now.

    To help us help you, please give us some details on your problems and what
    you have tried already.

    1. What type of charts are you trying to make (line, bar, XY, pie)?
    2.What are your specific problems with this type of chart.
    3. What books have you looked at/read? John Walkenbacks Excel Charting book
    is fantastic for beginner charters.
    4. Have you looked at any Excel Charting sites yet? Here's a list of sites
    for people who regularly answers questions for this forum.

    http://processtrends.com/

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html
    http://www.andypope.info/charts.htm
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm
    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/

    By giving us a more detailed description of your problem(s), one of us will
    be able to point you in the right direction.

    ....Kelly

    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Del Cotter

    ship <[email protected]> said:

    >The charts/graph-making utilities that come as standard with ms Excel
    >(2003) are driving me nuts! Can anyone recommend anything better that
    >is dirt cheap?!

    You may find this comment thread on Edward Tufte's web site useful:

    http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-...00000p&topic_i
    d=1&topic=Ask+E%2eT%2e

    or then again, you may not. Having rejecting Excel and recommended a
    good stats package and a good graphics package as stand-alone solutions,
    Tufte and other commenters make several suggestions. However, most of
    them require serious cash, and most of the remainder require serious
    programming skill.

    Alternatively, keep reading this Usenet newsgroup, paying attention to
    the comments of Jon Peltier and other MVPs, as they can show you how to
    make Excel go a little bit further beyond its limitations than you might
    think.

    (they shouldn't have to in 2006, of course. But Excel basically hasn't
    developed, either as a spreadsheet or as a charting package, since it
    trounced its last serious market competitor in the 1990s)

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  4. #4
    ship

    Del Cotter wrote:
    > ship <[email protected]> said:
    >
    > >The charts/graph-making utilities that come as standard with ms Excel
    > >(2003) are driving me nuts! Can anyone recommend anything better that
    > >is dirt cheap?!

    > You may find this comment thread on Edward Tufte's web site useful:
    >
    > http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-...00000p&topic_i
    > d=1&topic=Ask+E%2eT%2e
    >
    > or then again, you may not. Having rejecting Excel and recommended a
    > good stats package and a good graphics package as stand-alone solutions,
    > Tufte and other commenters make several suggestions. However, most of
    > them require serious cash, and most of the remainder require serious
    > programming skill.

    Thanks I'll have a look at that thread later.

    But for now, NO, I do NOT have serious cash. That is completely out of
    the question!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe