Bar Graph

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Bar Graph

    I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars change colour depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange, 3 - Red). I dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding graphs.

    Please can you help,

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar Graph

    Hi,

    No need for code if you use some worksheet formula and multiple series.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Bar Graph

    make a so-called conditional chart. This can be automated by making columns
    of yr data for each colour you want (in yr example 3 columns), and putting an
    if-statement that writes the value if the condition is right for the colour
    or #NA() if the value falls outside the conditions. Make sure that the value
    always is displayed in one of the three columns. Plot the cells with the
    IF-statements as three different series.
    HTH,
    Henk

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    link

    wow the link (above) is really handy but i cant work out where the colours have been linkes to the criteria ?

    Anyone know?

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar Graph

    If I understand your question the actual colour of each bar series would
    have to be set manually.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor

    colour

    hmm but when i change the value of the random values the cell colour automatically changes? How is this possible if the colours havent been predifined for each criteria range?

  7. #7
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar Graph

    the cell colours change?? Are you talking about conditional formatting
    of cells now rather than the chart columns?

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Yes thats right i would like to know more about the conditional formatting of charts.

    I have a chart with two bars and i would like the second bar to change to red, orange or green depending on the value of a cell

    ceemo 'I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars change colour depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange, 3 - Red). I dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding graphs.'

  9. #9
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Bar Graph

    Sorry I'm really confused now.
    The link I posted demonstrates how to set up formula in cells to react
    to the original chart data.
    You then create a chart with these multiple data series. Of course you
    will need to manually set the colour of each series in the chart. But
    once set up any edits to the original chart data will automatically be
    updated within the chart.

    Try another explanation, this time by Ed Ferrero, Conditional Chart
    Formatting.
    http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx

    Cheers
    Andy