White gridlines that visible over columns?

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    White gridlines that visible over columns?

    Does anyone know if or how I can have white major gridlines that are in
    effect 'on top of' the columns in a chart? I'm trying to create a white
    backgrounded histogram, with white horizontal gridlines that are effectively
    only visible as they 'bisect' the coloured columns.

    Any help appreciated.

    Jay

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: White gridlines that visible over columns?

    Hi,

    You can create your own gridlines using an additional data series
    plotted as an XY scatter chart. then use the X Error bars to draw your
    lines.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: White gridlines that visible over columns?

    Cheers Andy,

    I've done what you suggested & with a bit of fiddling have got it just as I
    wanted. I've been reading Tufte & want to implement some of his avoiding
    chart-junk & maximising data-ink ideas (not something Excel lends itself
    to:-)

    Thanks

    Jay