Powerpoint Graph- Shading in between two linear graph lines

  1. #1
    TerenYoung
    Guest

    Powerpoint Graph- Shading in between two linear graph lines

    If I created a linear graph (in Powerpoint) with two lines: one showing
    actual money spent and the other showing the budget over the course of a year
    is it possible to shade the difference (or the region of space) between the
    two lines. Basically indicated the sizable difference in actual money spent
    and budget?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Powerpoint Graph- Shading in between two linear graph lines

    Hi,

    Yes you can do this by adding 2 extra data series and plotting them as
    Area charts.

    Assuming your line data is currently in row 1 and 2 of the datasheet and
    your data is plotted By Rows.
    Copy row 2 to row 3
    Copy row 1 to row 4

    Now select the series in row 3 and change the chart type to Area, do not
    worry about the change of x axis for the moment.
    Format this new area chart to have the required fill colour and no border.
    Change the chart type of the series in row 4 to area chart. Change it's
    fill colour to that of the plotarea and set the border to none. This
    will act as a mask for the lower part of the other area chart.

    The above will work if the 2 lines of data do not cross.

    This is an example using Excel.
    http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng21.htm

    Cheers
    Andy