Struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003) - any recommendations?

  1. #1
    ship
    Guest

    Struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003) - any recommendations?

    Excel2003/WinXP

    Hi

    I am struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003).

    I am trying to *speed up* (i.e. reduce the number of clicks) to produce
    a new chart.
    To save time, I dont want to have to *do* anything to the source data
    when it arrives.
    This is partly because we are needing to paste in live data several
    time a day (i.e. data that is added to/is changed as the day
    progresses).

    The data arrives as .CSV and it is one row per transaction e.g. like
    this:

    date,time,invoice_num
    18/06/2006,01:19,INV10010341
    18/06/2006,07:18,INV10010342
    18/06/2006,07:31,INV10010343
    18/06/2006,08:28,INV10010344
    18/06/2006,08:32,INV10010345
    18/06/2006,08:32,INV10010346
    18/06/2006,08:54,INV10010347
    18/06/2006,09:13,INV10010348

  2. #2
    DoobieDo
    Guest

    Re: Struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003) - any recommendations?

    What did those nice people at the Excel forum tell you?
    http://216.92.17.166/board2/index.ph...01a4565152a99b

  3. #3
    ship

    DoobieDo wrote:
    > What did those nice people at the Excel forum tell you?
    > http://216.92.17.166/board2/index.ph...01a4565152a99b

    I dont know I havent asked them yet.
    Maybe I shall!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003) - any recommendations?

    > To save time, I dont want to have to *do* anything to the source data
    > when it arrives.

    Unfortunately your data is not arranged to be easy to make any kind of
    chart. Your X data is the second column of the imported file, and I think
    your Y data is derived from the third column. Do you want simply number of
    transactions at a given time, or a cumulative count? Either way you'll need
    some analysis, whether by formulas, pivot table, or VBA procedure. You have
    to provide some numerical values for Excel to plot.

    > I have then added the time column (i.e. the second column - col "B") of
    > each datasheet to be a Data Series for the chart.

    > I would like time to go along the X-axis but Excel puts it on the Y
    > axis! (Why?!)

    A data series consists of a set of X values and a matching set of Y values.
    If you add the second column by itself to an existing chart, the only
    logical thing for Excel to assume is that these are Y values to be charted
    against the already plotted X values.

    > Plus I cant get the X-axis to start at zero - it seems to insist on
    > starting at 1 (not 0)!!

    If Excel cannot parse your X values as anything numeric, or if you are
    making a Line chart (rather than an XY chart), Excel is likely to simply
    assign the X values as categorical labels, then count them starting with 1
    the way young children learn to count.

    BTW, what are these groups: alt.comp.shareware, alt.www.webmaster?

    - Jon
    -------