Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

    I've been searching this board to find an answer and all the post (so far)
    are helpful but they don't quite get me to where I need to be. That said...

    I have a 3d plain Jane bargraph. The data is linked to cells, and I
    physically change the graph at the begining of every month( add to the data
    series). When I add the new data the series points may change but the
    individual bars do change color. Long story longer...How can I keep the
    series the same format (keep"defective equipment" for Feb - June blue)
    through out the graph no matter what changes are made. I would assume this
    would be done through conditional formatting. But how can this be applied to
    the data label "defective equipment"

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

    David:
    We need more details to help you more effectively I think. For instance,
    does every bar have a different colour, or do you have a single colour for
    the entire series?
    Henk

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

    Two comments:

    1. Generally it's better to use 2D charts, as 3D charting effects can
    distort what you're trying to show. (Unless of course that's your
    intention.)

    2. For conditional charting, check out this page:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to conditionaly format based on the data label?

    HEK and Jon,

    Thank you for your replies. Lert me apologize for my poor response time.
    If I may, I will address each of your responses in this single reply.

    HEK: additional information is as follows:

    Due to complexity (non normalized - out of my control) the data that needs
    to be charted is top complaints over months. The best that I can explain
    what the chart displays is a single category axis (Months), Series A (Months)
    Series B (Root Cause with the total # of complaints) I guess its a series and
    a sub-series if that makes sense. Each time the graph is updated with new
    monthly data the Root Cause data points have different (default) colors. I
    would like to see the same color for each like Root Cause across each month.
    The audience wants to see this in a bar graph. So if the Root Cause =
    defective equipment I would like this bar to be yellow regarless of the
    month. I hope this made sense. Again one problem lies in how the data is
    prepared to get it into a graphed format. I have two colums: column 1
    contains the Months as well as the root causes. The second column contains
    the total count of each root cause. The two columns are comprised of data
    coming from individual pivot tables for each month. Convoluted I know, but
    this is what I have to work with (for now untill I can change some things)

    Jon:

    The use of the 3d chart was what they liked. A bar char was the best
    representation for the data (in my opinion) 2d/3d I don't think will matter
    3d just looks nicer. I have been going to your site prior to me posting this
    question. It has been a great resource for me. As far as the conditional
    formatting goes. You provide ways to format based on the actual data point.
    I'm looking for some way to set the format based on the data label.

    Again, thanks to the both of you.