How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

  1. #1

    Talking How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

    Hello!

    I would like to get the average curve from several curves on a plot. Is there a way to do this in Excel?

    (Background infromation: I have, say, 10 sets of XY points and I want to take the average of these to obtain a set of average X and Y points and plot them. However, each of these 10 sets have a different amount of XY points and I can't simply take the average across the row. Any solutions?)

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

    (A) If the X-values are the same for each series the Y-value of the average
    is simply the average of the respective y-values.
    (B) So, I assume yr X-values are not equal, though within a comparable
    scale. You cld try to interpolate / extrapolate the xy-pairs to obtain a
    kind of best-fit curve, with Add Trendline you can choose a polynomial fit
    which gives you say 10 estimated curves. Now the one y'r looking for is the
    average of Y-values belonging to that fit, identical as in (A).
    HTH,
    Henk

  3. #3

    Unhappy RE: How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

    I am not sure I understand. How do I get the set of average X and Y values from the 10 estimated curves?

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,809
    1) Fit each of the 10 data sets to a suitable curve (polynomial or other). Use LINEST or chart trendlines.
    2) You can then take an average of the 10 curves by selecting a value for x, calculating the value for y at each of the 10 curves, then average that set of y's. This will give you an average value for y at a given x. Repeat for as many x's as needed.

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

    If your data is noisy, then fitting a polynomial (as others suggested) can
    smooth it before you average. However, if the data is not noisy and not from
    a low order polynomial, you should be aware that a least squares fit need not
    pass through any observed points.

    If you really want to average what the chart displays, then the chart
    smoother appears to fit Bezier curves

    http://www.xlrotor.com/Smooth_curve_...ample_file.zip

    which in most instances is not greatly different than cubic splines

    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...2966520eccdb1f

    (local polynomial fits that do pass through the data points, as opposed to a
    global polynomial fit that may not).

    Jerry