Chart select, yet changing set of series

  1. #1

    Chart select, yet changing set of series

    How can I have a chart that only plots series chosen by the user. For example:

    I would like to have a on/off (1/0) switch for each series of data. I want the chart to only plot series with the on switch value. Also, I'm looking for a true solution, not one that plots the off series on the axis.

    All help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Oh I forgot to ask whether or not there's a way to setup a switch that will flip through different chart types.

  3. #3
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Chart select, yet changing set of series

    Hi:
    Your first question is relatively easy to do, with the IF command. Make a
    copy of yr series (so you have two of each, X and Y). X is yr basic data,
    and Y is calculated depending on a value in yr "trigger" cell (say this is
    cell A1, and the value is 0 or 1).
    Series Y is then for instance IF(A1=1,"X",NA()). Now plot Series Y, not X.
    It either shows the values (if A1=1) or nothing (the effect of the NA()
    command.

    Your second question, the "chart flip": I think it is possible with the help
    of the CHOOSE command, but frankly I don't see how this can be a time-saver -
    the only sensible reason for this. I use CHOOSE when I want to change my
    chart's appearance triggered by an event or value (e.g. change the chart area
    into red for alerting purposes).
    Just in case you are not aware: you don't have to remake a chart from
    scratch once you have one: you can always right click the existing chart and
    choose a different Chart Type and .. voila. Having said this, you may wish
    to see my answer on the post of Rich earlier today in case you use
    time-consuming chart formats that you don't like to make over again each
    time.
    HTH,
    GL,
    Henk

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Chart select, yet changing set of series

    Easy enough to just hide the column of the data

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Kelly O'Day
    Guest

    Re: Chart select, yet changing set of series

    I have an example trend chart that let's user select which series they want
    to plot by checking checkboxes. This may be close to what you are looking
    for.

    You should be able to modify the download file to meet your needs.
    http://processtrends.com/pg_interact...checkboxes.htm

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Chart select, yet changing set of series

    The solution offered by Kelly is fantastic but this may be easier.

    from forms toolbox
    The checkbox is linked to cell c4,etc
    Just add more for each column that needs to be involved.
    right click sheet tab>view code>insert this.
    Private Sub Worksheet_calculate()
    'put =now()somewhere on the sheet of the chart
    With Sheets("data")
    .Columns.Hidden = False
    If Range("c4") = False Then .Columns(2).Hidden = True
    If Range("c5") = False Then .Columns(3).Hidden = True
    End With
    End Sub

    from control box
    Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()