Scatter chart displays as line chart

  1. #1
    Hannu
    Guest

    Scatter chart displays as line chart

    I'm trying to connect point on a (background graphic) circle with lines
    (using Excel 2000). I have generated the X-cordinates for all ends of lines
    in one column and, in each of the following columns, I have the Y-cordinates
    for one line, two values next to each other; in the same rows as their
    X-coordinates. All other cells are empty.

    This works in smaller scale but when I have 250 lines, the X-values are
    replaced with rising numbers, i.e. I get a line graphic.

    Is there any way to make the scatter graphic work in large scale figures?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Scatter chart displays as line chart

    Hi,

    Have you used the xy-scatter type of chart or is it a Line chart.
    Line charts have categorical x axis where as xy-scatter charts has true
    value axis.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Scatter chart displays as line chart

    Hannu -

    For an XY (Scatter) chart type, if even just one of the cells of the X range
    is not numeric (e.g., the cell contains text that looks like a number), then
    Excel reverts to a Line chart type (equally spacing the X values on the
    horizontal axis and using 1,2,3,... for trendline X values).

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...