How to create a simple Stacked Column chart?

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    How to create a simple Stacked Column chart?

    I'm pulling my hair out over what I thought would have been a simple
    task:

    I have an Excel 2003 pivot table and chart. On the Chart tab, I drag a
    field to the Category axis and Page. Then I drag 3 numeric fields to
    the Data area. I set the Chart Type to Stacked Column. The problem:
    the 3 numeric fields still display as 3 separate bars/columns. So the
    question is why doesn't Excel stack them?

    I have seen numerous similiar posts, but no real understandable answer
    (at least not to a newbie at Excel charting and pivot tables).

    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How to create a simple Stacked Column chart?

    Hi,

    The number of items in the stack will reflect the number of items in the
    category field. So if the Category field was Months you would get 12
    segments to a stack. Adding 3 different fields would create a stack for
    each of those not a stack of them.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: How to create a simple Stacked Column chart?

    Hi Andy,

    Now I am more confused then ever I use a database reporting tool
    called DBxtra, which also offers charting. With DBxtra's "stacked
    column", the number of data fields one drags into the "data area"
    determines how many segments appear in an individual stacked column.

    Here is what I am trying to do in Excel:
    - X/category axis: SalesPerson
    - Y axis: I am trying to get it to show a stacked column with 3
    segments per column:
    1) Region1 sales dollars per salesperson
    2) Region2 sales dollars per salesperson
    3) Region3 sales dollars per salesperson

    I tried: dragging Salesperson field to category axis, Region1, 2 & 3
    fields to the data area. I expected a single, segmented stacked
    column, showing 3 region totals per salesperson. Instead I got 3
    separate (unstacked) columns per salesperson...

    I guess my experience with DBxtra charting is confusing me in Excel...