Can't chart dynamic named range??

  1. #1

    Can't chart dynamic named range??

    I have a named range call TMW with this gnarly formula
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH("TMW",Clients,0)+1,1)),0,0,IF(COUNTIF(Clients,"TMW")>12,12,COUNTIF(Clients,"TMW")),1)
    When I use GOTO and type TMW it selects the correct cells.

    Then I have another named range called TMW_ACTIVE with this formula
    =OFFSET(TMW,0,2,,)
    It simply takes the same range just over two columns. Again when I use
    GOTO and type TMW_ACTIVE it selects the correct cells.

    The issue is that I have charts that refer to TMW_ACTIVE and when the
    named range was hardcoded with values the charts worked but now that I
    use the offset formula the chart doesn't work. Any ideas?
    THANKS for your help!!

  2. #2
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Can't chart dynamic named range??

    I couldn't get a chart to accept your formula but I did get it to accept a
    convensional DNR using the Offset function. The chart doesn't seem to like
    DNRs that use the INDIRECT and/or the ADDRESS function. However, with very
    minimal testing, I think this may work in lieu of your function. If it's not
    quite correct you should be able to fix it.

    =OFFSET(Clients,
    MATCH("TMW",Clients,0)-1,0,IF(COUNTIF(Clients,"TMW")>12,12,COUNTIF(Clients,"TMW")),1)

    Regards,
    Greg

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Can't chart dynamic named range??

    how are you referencing the offset formula?

    source
    =yourworkbook.xls!namedrange

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Can't chart dynamic named range??

    Actually the chart already exists using a named range (but the named
    range is simply hardcoded with a range). So I go into the source data
    and replace the named range with the new one and it won't chart.
    I did a bunch of experiments last night and as long as the offset
    formulas are simple, it works, but the minute I point the named range
    to the named range with the complicated offset, it doesn't work. I
    haven't tried the offset formula that the second post suggested. I
    will give that a try and see if it works.

  5. #5

    Re: Can't chart dynamic named range??

    THANK YOU!!
    If I create a named range (TMW) with the offset formula that Greg
    suggested, then the second name range uses an offset that refers to
    TMW, I can now chart the second named range.
    Like Greg said, for some reason it doesn't like the Indirect and
    Address functions!! Go figure!!!