[SOLVED] Moving Average (Charts)

  1. #1
    Jamesy
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Moving Average (Charts)

    * Sorry this has been posted in the "General Questions" forum but have placed
    it in the incorrect area.

    Morning All,

    Now I'm not sure if there’s a simple answer here but I sure don't know it!!

    Here’s the layout of my question...

    Col A
    Jan 1
    Jan 2
    Jan 3
    Jan 16
    Jan 31

    Col B
    0% (In line with Jan 1)
    2% (Jan 2)
    4% (Jan 3)
    27% (Jan 16)
    45% (Jan 31)

    So what I have above is a few % points against a handful of days across a
    month. I've plotted these points in a graph and created a "moving average"
    line, this works great but I need those % gaps in my actual data.

    Is there any way I can get these plots? I can't even display the equation
    on the chart.

    Your help again is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    James.

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Moving Average (Charts)

    James, select yr chart and go to Tools/Options/[Chart]. Check the radio
    button near "plot empty cells as" for "interpolated" (works for line charts
    at least).
    GL,
    Henk

  3. #3
    Jamesy
    Guest

    RE: Moving Average (Charts)

    Morning Henk,

    Thanks for your response but your below advice does nothing to my line chart?

    Any other ideas or am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks,
    James.

  4. #4
    Jamesy
    Guest

    RE: Moving Average (Charts)

    Just to clarify what I need from this chart...

    I need column B (as shown below) to be fully populated with % figures, so I
    can then produce % change across any 2 points in the month.

    Thanks,
    James.

  5. #5
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Moving Average (Charts)

    Sorry, I thought you were getting gaps in the chart, not so much in yr
    columns...
    If you want to predict "in between values" or even future values you can add
    a trendline through yr data points. Excel can be instructed to use a
    specific fit, e.g., a polynomial or exponential fit - whatever you anticipate
    as being appropriate.
    Select yr series, right-click and select Add Trendline.. The parameters
    describing the trendline can be calculated with LINEST. Check the helpfile
    how to use LINEST.
    GL,
    Henk

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Moving Average (Charts)

    Do you mean you need wider spaces where there are gaps in the dates? If the
    dates are numerical dates, you can use a time scale axis (Chart menu > Chart
    Options > Axes tab) which plots them on a proportional scale.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions