How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

  1. #1
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

    I have a chart showing burn rates (fairly small numbers) and EACs/ETCs(Relly
    big numbers). I have set up 2 Y-Axis, but this stretches the burn rate a
    lot, so if it changes a little bit, it adjusts the axis and suddenly, a 1%
    spike goes all the way from the bottom edge to the top. I know I can define
    the axis to compensate, but then if there really were a spike, it has the
    potential to go off the page, something I'm not sure people will know how to
    fix when I leave this internship in a couple weks.

    What I want to do is add another set of data, a percent change in the burn
    rate. Obviously, I don't want to show this as another line, but rather as a
    label on the burn rate data points. This should be really easy, but I can't
    find a way to do it. Also, I'm pretty iffy about downloading things as this
    is a government-owned computer.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

    Matt -

    There are a couple free Excel utilities that apply labels from a worksheet
    range to a chart series. Both integrate seamlessly with Excel:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    mattgoof2005
    Guest

    Re: How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

    I take it then that you can't do it without downloading something? (Frickin'
    DOE computers)

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

    You can add custom labels by hand though it can be PITA for more than a few
    labels. The technique for
    Dynamic Chart Title
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...tle/index.html
    also works with labels.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I put custom data labels on charts in Excel?

    Can you download it at home and bring it in on a flash drive? Or are those
    taboo, too?

    - Jon
    -------