Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

  1. #1
    Jonathan
    Guest

    Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    I am trying to create a graph that will show new sales vs repeat sales in one
    column, but I do not want the data to be stacked. In doing so I will be able
    to see how much greater one is over the other. Thank you in advance. This
    will be a great help to me and my department.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    Do you want a clustered column chart? The data won't be plotted in the same
    "column", but the columns will be over the same category.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jonathan
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    Thank you for replying. What we need is for the data to be plotted in the
    same "column". For example, lets say we are comparing July 2005 'repeat' and
    'new' sales to July 2006 'repeat' and 'new' sales. I want to show only two
    columns, one for July 2005 and one for July 2006. Within each of the two
    columns would be the 'repeat' sales amount and layered on top of that would
    be the 'new' sales amount. The columns would be only as high as the total
    sales for that month. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing back.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    Does "layered" mean something different than "stacked"? I cannot visualize
    your intended chart.

  5. #5
    Jonathan
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    Jon,

    Again thank you for continuing to work with me on this. By "layered" I do
    mean something different than "stacked". Let me use an example:

    I want to graph new and repeat sales from 2005 for the month of July. Lets
    say the data is as follows:

    2005 New: $100
    2005 Repeat $50

    Now, excel will graph this data into one bar but it will also simply stack
    the data for each sales type on top of the other. The bar would extend up to
    a total of $150. What I am looking for is some sort of "layered" graph that
    would show the same bar and would look almost identical to the "stacked" bar
    but that would only extend to $100. This would be because the 2005 Repeat
    sales for $50 would be "layered" on top of the 2005 New sales of $100.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    If values in one series are always greater than the other, make a clustered
    column chart with the larger series plotted first. Then double click on
    series, and on the Options tab, enter an Overlap of 100%.

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Creating a graph similar to a stacked column graph

    You might use a different overlap, like 50%, to get a clearer display of the
    data. When I see one series in front of another like this, I often consider
    them stacked, even though they are not.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP