Stacked column with negative values

  1. #1
    Sam
    Guest

    Stacked column with negative values

    I want to make a stacked column that has 4 variables, two of which are always
    zero or positive and two which are always zero or negative. The four
    together make a net sum. Excel seems to start my positive and negative sets
    at zero and stack in both directions. The result is the column is taller
    than it is supposed to be because it is not debited the negative values. How
    can I change this so that my column is as tall as the net sum of the 4
    values? For example:

    A 5
    B 8
    C -2
    D -7
    Sum = 5+8-2-7 = 4

    My column should be 4 tall, with a switch from A to B at -1, a switch from B
    to C at -9, a switch from C to D at -11, and D ends at -18.

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Stacked column with negative values

    Hi Sam:
    You obviously cannot display a negative length, only a negative value. I
    don't know why you want to have a stacked column: cannot you use a
    side-by-side column instead? Than show also the Totals in a column (so 5
    col's in total).
    HTH,
    GL,
    Henk