Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

  1. #1
    snowbound
    Guest

    Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    This does not happen with other chart forms, including radar. I am trying to
    create a 3 series chart with data points for each day over a 3 week period.
    Sometimes get the message that chart can only use 32000 data points, but this
    is well under that limit. This has not happened before. What is going
    wrong? (...or what am I doing wrong?) Not a stranger to Excel, though not a
    power user, but never had this problem before.

    Will reinstall the program as soon as I find the disk (just moved office).

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    You haven't described what you mean by "cut off".

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    snowbound
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    The data series will show up to a certain point, then stops. In this case,
    it stops at day 12, though there are 21 days of data. The chart is complete
    in other respects (ie, the x and y axes both extend to the desired values).
    The data sets will display all 21 days in other chart forms.

    I hope this is the information you were looking for

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    Go to Source Data on the Chart menu. Click on the Series tab. Select the
    "cut off" series. Are the complete ranges shown in the X values and Y values
    boxes?

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    snowbound
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    I am assuming you mean value ranges. Yes. This was one of the first things
    I checked. Also checked data range. Still getting message that 2D charts
    are limited to 32000 data points. Am nowhere close to that! I have tried
    recreating chart several times with similar results. BAffled.

  6. #6
    Verona, WI
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Why does Excel line chart cut off my data series?

    I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd post a response anyway. I ran into a similar issue recently for a Combo chart (three series on one chart). One of the three series has a value range that's much higher than the other two, so the corresponding line would hit the top of the chart. To fix this, I had to increase the max value for my secondary axis. Hope this helps!