How do i move data series into other columns on column charts

  1. #1
    JamesO
    Guest

    How do i move data series into other columns on column charts

    When i am creating a Column Chart, on the "Series", there is an option to add
    a series of data. However when i do this they automatically are placed into
    the first section along the x-axis and there is no way to change this or to
    move them to other parts of the x-axis.

    I have 9 values along the X-axis and they each need to have additional data
    series added to them, but i can only add them in the first value's section of
    chart.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do i move data series into other columns on column charts

    You have 9 categories, and you need a way to plot nothing in the earlier
    categories if the data should only be plotted on the later categories. You
    should include as many blank cells in the beginning of your data range as
    there are categories without values in the added series. The best way to set
    up your data is to put the category labels in one column, then each series
    in columns to the right, where the values line up with their categories, and
    if a category has no value, leave a blank. Leave the top left cell blank
    (above the category labels), and put series names above the values (to the
    right of this blank cell).

    Ser 1 Ser 2 Ser 3 Ser 4
    Cat A 100 150
    Cat B 125 165 120
    Cat C 135 175 115 125
    Cat D 150 180 125 150

    You can select this whole range and create a chart directly which contains
    all of the data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP