chart from Pivot chart

  1. #1

    chart from Pivot chart

    I have a Pivot Table that is generated from an OLAP cube. I created a
    Pivot Chart, but this is not as flexible as I would like. I want to
    add a couple of extra trendlines so that I can see if my data series
    falls within an acceptable range.

    To accomplish what I want I create a standard chart, use VBA to get the
    series & axes from the Pivot Chart, and then add the series and axes to
    the standard chart. All of that is working well. Except for one
    thing. I can't get the category axis to format the same way as it is
    formatted on the Pivot Chart.

    For example, if I use a date as my row values on the Pivot Table and
    select the lowest drill-through value(which is month in my case), the
    Pivot Chart will show the Year, Quarter and Month as category names.
    My formatting problem has to do with the orientation and alignment of
    each category name level. The pivot table seems to able to have a
    different orientation or alignment for the Year, Quarter or month,
    which I have not been able to reproduce on the standard chart.

    Any idea on how I can exactly reproduce the formatting of the Pivot
    Chart category asix? Or is there another way I could do what I
    attempting to do with the trendlines? Again though, other than the
    formatting of the category axis, everything is working well.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: chart from Pivot chart

    Is the pivot chart using a range more than one column wide for its X values?
    You can apply the same shape range to the first series' .XValues.

    What is the information you want to convey on the axis? My preference is to
    use a single column of dates for my .XValues, making sure the chart uses a
    time-scale for the axis, and playing with the category axis scale parameters
    and number formats to get the spacing and labels I want. Trendlines based on
    a time scale axis will be more reliable than those based on a category-type
    axis, which merely uses the counting numbers {1, 2, 3,...} for the X
    variable in the fitting calculations.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP