I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

  1. #1
    rlbell
    Guest

    I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    I have tried copying to PowerPoint and then saving as a tif, but the quality
    is not as good.

  2. #2
    Brad
    Guest

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    I suppose the easiest way would be for you to download a copy of the free
    ASAP utility. As one of its options, you can convert an Excel file into a
    ..tif... others too. BR

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    Hello, Brad!
    You wrote on Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:50:48 -0500:

    B> I suppose the easiest way would be for you to download a
    B> copy of the free ASAP utility. As one of its options, you
    B> can convert an Excel file into a .tif... others too. BR

    B> "rlbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    B> news:[email protected]...
    ??>> I have tried copying to PowerPoint and then saving as a
    ??>> tif, but the quality is not as good.

    I thought it could be done tho' I'll have to leave quality
    judgements to you :-) You can copy an Excel chart into the free
    program Irfanview and save it as a TIF.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious anti-spam: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

  4. #4
    rlbell
    Guest

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    Great thanks, I did a search for the ASAP utility and did not locate it, can
    you tell me how to find it to download?

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    Did you use Google? It's the first link, whether I enter 'asap utility' or
    'asap utilities'.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  6. #6

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    The following code produced a .tif file that seems to be of very good
    quality when imported as an object into Word, PowerPoint and Excel, or
    when opened into Microsoft Paint. The only program where the quality
    was questionnable was when I opened it in the Microsoft accessory,
    Imaging. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

    Sub ChartAsTIF()
    If TypeName(Selection) = "ChartArea" Then
    userFname = InputBox("Filename of Chart File?", "Save Chart",
    "ExcelChart")
    userNameAndPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & userFname & ".tif"
    ActiveChart.Export Filename:=userNameAndPath, filtername:="TIF"
    MsgBox "Chart is saved as" & Chr(13) & userNameAndPath
    Else
    userReply = MsgBox("Please select a Chart Area, then run macro
    again", vbOKOnly, "Error in Selection")

    (Be careful when copying this code. Google's message area tends to
    wrap lines of code at inappropriate places.)

    Click on the chart, then run the macro.

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    A handier chart detection statement would work like this:

    If Not ActiveChart Is Nothing Then
    '' do the export routine
    Else
    userReply = MsgBox("Please select a Chart, then run macro again", _
    vbOKOnly, "No Active Chart")
    End If

    This way you can have any chart element selected and it would still work on
    the active chart.

    - Jon
    -------

  8. #8

    Re: I want to convert an Excel Chart to a .tif format file

    Very nice improvement. Thanks, Jon.