spinner control in chart sheet... please help!

  1. #1
    anna
    Guest

    spinner control in chart sheet... please help!

    I have a worksheet with A LOT of data...
    x Y Y1 Y2 Y3
    data data data data data
    .... .... ..... ..... .....

    I have a chart sheet with all data plotted (xy scatter) and really need
    something like a spinner button so that I can scroll and only plot a block of
    my data at a time and have the chart update automatically with the contol.
    Doesn't have to be a spinner button, but it was a guess on my part. I have
    now bought 3 LARGE VBA for Excel books and am still unable to do seemingly
    simple tasks I need. Could anyone take me step-by-step on how to set this up,
    please?? Keep in mind I need it "dumbed down" to my basic beginner's level.
    Thanks so much in advanced for any help you can give.
    Anna

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: spinner control in chart sheet... please help!

    Hi,

    It's not a spinner but a scroller. The principle is the same though.
    You need to use a dynamic named range for the charts data source.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/Scrolling.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    anna
    Guest

    Re: spinner control in chart sheet... please help!

    Thanks! However, I have over 38,000 rows of data and the scroll bar only
    allows a max of 30,000. Is there a way to just tie the x axis min and max
    scale to a scroll bar (in increments of 0.001... time is the x axis) so I can
    scroll through my data that way?
    Thanks again for the help!
    Anna

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: spinner control in chart sheet... please help!

    A data series will only allow 32k points so I'm assuming your chart has
    multiple series.

    You can not link the scales min or max values directly to cells so you
    would need to use code in the scroll bars events.

    Add a scrollbar with Max value of 200. Linkcell = A1
    Then add this code.

    Private Sub ScrollBar1_Change()

    With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart.Axes(2, 1)
    .MinimumScale = Range("A1").Value / 1000
    .MaximumScale = .MinimumScale + 0.001
    .MajorUnit = 0.0001
    End With

    End Sub