Precision in Excel 2002

  1. #1
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Precision in Excel 2002

    Hello, All!

    I have read complaints about lack of agreement in the
    coefficients of polynomials obtained by fitting trendlines on
    the graph and those obtained from LINEST. I had occasion to do
    some experiments yesterday using a third order polynomial with
    Excel 2002 and, as far as I can tell, at the same number of
    decimal places the coefficient results are identical. The data
    used had random errors and was not from an exact curve.

    Can anyone tell me which versions of Excel can be relied on or
    else what problems I should look out for?

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Precision in Excel 2002

    The formula used by LINEST prior to 2003 was mathematically correct, but
    numerically inferior to that used by the chart trendline. Since it was
    mathematically correct, you would see no difference unless the problem was
    very ill-conditioned [=MMULTIPLY(TRANSPOSE(x_mat),x_mat) nearly singular].
    Typically this happened when people tried to fit too many polynomial terms
    over too narrow a range of observations, as in
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9a2bb33e6cdbb8

    LINEST in 2003 introduced an algorithm that is far better numerically than
    earlier versions (essentially as good as the chart trendline). However there
    is a bug in the implementation of that algorithm that can produce one or more
    coefficients that are exactly zero when they should be far from zero, even
    though earlier versions would have experienced no numerical difficulties on
    these particular data sets
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...98be08e90c3cfa

    The publically available 2007 beta appears to have fixed the problem in the
    new LINEST algorithm.

    Bottom line: for most simple stuff it won't matter whether you use LINEST or
    the chart trendline. However, for any version prior to 2003, if there is a
    discrepancy between the chart trendline and LINEST, then don't believe
    LINEST. (This assumes that you are using an "XY (Scatter)" chart with
    numeric x-data provided--otherwise the chart trendline may not mean what you
    expect it too.) Similarly, if LINEST in 2003 (PC) or 2004 (Mac) reports any
    coefficient as exactly zero, don't believe it without indepenent verification
    (such as the chart trendline).

    Jerry

  3. #3
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: Precision in Excel 2002

    Hello, Jerry!
    You wrote on Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:28:01 -0700:

    JWL> LINEST in 2003 introduced an algorithm that is far better
    JWL> numerically than earlier versions (essentially as good as
    JWL> the chart trendline). However there is a bug in the
    JWL> implementation of that algorithm that can produce one or
    JWL> more coefficients that are exactly zero when they should
    JWL> be far from zero, even though earlier versions would have
    JWL> experienced no numerical difficulties on these particular
    JWL> data
    JWL> setshttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.
    JWL> programming/browse_frm/thread/aaa78a91ec42fd4b/98be08e90c3
    JWL> cfa#98be08e90c3cfa

    JWL> The publically available 2007 beta appears to have fixed
    JWL> the problem in the new LINEST algorithm.

    JWL> Bottom line: for most simple stuff it won't matter whether
    you
    JWL> use LINEST or the chart trendline. However, for any
    JWL> version prior to 2003, if there is a discrepancy between
    JWL> the chart trendline and LINEST, then don't believe LINEST.
    JWL> (This assumes that you are using an "XY (Scatter)" chart
    JWL> with numeric x-data provided--otherwise the chart
    JWL> trendline may not mean what you expect it too.)
    JWL> Similarly, if LINEST in 2003 (PC) or 2004 (Mac) reports
    JWL> any coefficient as exactly zero, don't believe it without
    JWL> indepenent verification (such as the chart trendline).

    JWL> Jerry

    JWL> "James Silverton" wrote:

    ??>> Hello, All!
    ??>>
    ??>> I have read complaints about lack of agreement in the
    ??>> coefficients of polynomials obtained by fitting trendlines
    ??>> on the graph and those obtained from LINEST. I had
    ??>> occasion to do some experiments yesterday using a third
    ??>> order polynomial with Excel 2002 and, as far as I can
    ??>> tell, at the same number of decimal places the coefficient
    ??>> results are identical. The data used had random errors and
    ??>> was not from an exact curve.
    ??>>
    ??>> Can anyone tell me which versions of Excel can be relied
    ??>> on or else what problems I should look out for?

    Thanks very much! I had assumed that the trendline might be less
    accurate than LINEST. Again, I live and learn!