Stacked area and area chart combo

  1. #1

    Stacked area and area chart combo

    Is it possible to create a stacked area and area combo chart. I have 2
    series that need to be stacked and one that needs to be just area. If I
    change the one, it changes all.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    Hi,

    Move the series that is not to be stacked on to the secondary axis.
    Double click series and check secondary on the axis tab.

    You may have to play with the scale values in order to stop the single
    area masking the stacked areas. Unless of course that is what you want
    to do.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    I'm using a scatter plot on the secondary axis. Any other options?

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    That should not be a problem.

    I just built a chart with

    2 series stacked area on primary
    1 area on secondary
    1 xy-scatter on secondary

    Did you try it and it failed?

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    I tried it but my area chart on the secondary axis gets flipped upside
    down

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    If you want to email me direct, do not post to NG, an example I will
    take a look.

    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Stacked area and area chart combo

    Are the series all using the same X values, but you have a secondary X axis
    anyway? If so, double click the secondary Y axis and uncheck the Category
    Axis Crosses at Maximum Value box.

    If you need the secondary X axis, you have to have two stacked (not
    unstacked) Area series on the secondary axis, where the first has values of
    zero. This series goes from the axis (at the top) to zero, and the
    meaningful series stacks on it, meaning it now starts at zero. You have to
    hide the first of these by formatting it with no border or fill.

    I imagine you could make a more readable chart using another combination of
    chart types. Area charts can be difficult to interpret, especially if you
    have one series in front of others. Why not use a Line chart?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions