3 values on Y axes

  1. #1
    Joe W
    Guest

    3 values on Y axes

    I have 3 widely varying values that I'm trying to plot. I have 2 Y axes
    (which take care of 2 values). The third value is well outside the ranges of
    the other 2 and its fluctuations are too difficult to decipher. Is there a
    solution for this? It's as if I'm trying to create a 3rd Y axis! BTW, I'm
    using a line graph; the X axis is a date range.
    --
    Thanks,
    Joe

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 3 values on Y axes

    Joe -

    You have (at least) three options:

    * Make three different charts

    * Make one chart with primary, secondary, and tertiary axes. Excel doesn't
    come with tertiary axes, but that's never stopped me:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/TertiaryAxis.html

    * Make one chart, with each series (or set of series) plotted within its own
    region of the chart. This is the trickiest since you have to jury-rig three
    axes, not just one as in the Tertiary Axis option.

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedCharts.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Joe W
    Guest

    Re: 3 values on Y axes

    Jon,

    I got to the section called "Add Dummy Series" and I'm not sure if I copy
    the whole spreadsheet range, starting w/ X1 values thru Dummy Series Labels.
    Because when I Paste Special, I don't see the new Y axis. Instead I get a
    4th set of data plotted.
    --
    Thanks,
    Joe

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 3 values on Y axes

    That 4th data set becomes the third axis when you convert it to an XY series
    and format it appropriately.

    - Jon
    -------