Advice re: long path names in formulas....

  1. #1
    tim m
    Guest

    Advice re: long path names in formulas....

    Greetings, this is not a specific question but more of a general one. A
    coworker had a sheet with a fairly long formula that did simple calculations
    (as in looking at single cells in a variety of sheets on his local machine.)
    He then transfered the file up to our server for another coworker to work on.
    The path name became alot longer because the file path to the server
    included a couple more folders. The formulas then became too long due to the
    extra long path names.

    Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to handle this type of thing? Do
    range names still have to include the whole path of the cell or could they
    name the individual cells as single cell ranges? What methods do others use
    to keep these type of formulas to a reasonable length?

  2. #2
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Advice re: long path names in formulas....

    I've noticed that if a file being referenced is open, you will only see the
    filename in the formula, not the whole path. Don't know if Excel just makes
    it invisible in the formula and the whole path is still there but give it a
    try.
    Open the referenced file before opening the file with the fairly long formula.
    --
    HTH,
    Gary Brown

  3. #3
    india
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Advice re: long path names in formulas....

    hello
    you are welcome
    with the help of long path tool you can solve your problem.