How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

  1. #1
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    What do you see in the formula bar when you select that cell?

    What shows in the cell if you hold the Ctrl key, and type a semi-colon,
    to enter the current date?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  2. #2
    Macdad
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    Thank you very much for responding Debra.

    What I see in the formula bar when I select that cell: =8/25/5

    When I hold the Ctrl key and type semi-colon, I see 8/25/2005 displayed in
    the cell, and 8/25/2005 dsiplayed in the formula bar. When I hit <enter>
    the number 0.0001596 is displayed in the cell and if I pick the cell again, I
    see
    =8/25/2005 in the formula bar.

  3. #3
    Macdad
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    This is a correction to my last post (the responses I gave are when the cell
    was incorrectly formatted as "General). When the cell is properly formatted
    as a "Date":

    What I see in the formula bar when I select the cell: =8/25/5

    What I see in the cell if I hold the Ctrl key, and type a semi-colon:
    8/25/05 in the cell and in the formula bar. If I then hit enter, the cell
    displays 1/0/00. If I pick the cell again, I see 1/0/00 in the cell and
    =8/25/2005 in the formula bar.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    From the Tools menu, choose Options
    On the Transition tab, remove the check mark from 'Transition Formula Entry'
    Click OK

  5. #5
    Macdad
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    That worked. Thanks Debra.

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it worked.

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish

  9. #9
    Macdad

  10. #10
    Macdad

  11. #11
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    From the Tools menu, choose Options

  12. #12
    Macdad

  13. #13
    Debra Dalgleish

  14. #14
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How do I get Excel date to change from 1/1/1900?

    I want to add to the thread that the fix in Excel 2013 is to go to File > Options > Advanced -- scroll all the way down to the bottom and uncheck the "Transition formula evaluation" and "transition formula entry". That will fix your problem with the cell automatically changing data to formulas.

    Thank you for this post so many years ago. I couldn't find anything else that resembled my problem and this one led me to the resolution.