Calculating a tiered 401k Match

  1. #1
    JK
    Guest

    Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    Hello,

    I need to create a formula that will calculate a tiered 401k match based
    upon the amount being contributed.

    The match formula is 100% on the first 3% of an employee's contribution, and
    50% on the next 2% contributed.

    The columns I have are 1) Salary, 2)Percent contributed.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    One way:

    A1: Salary
    B1: % contributed
    C1: =(MIN(B1,3%)/2 + MIN(B1,5%)/2) * A1

  3. #3
    JK
    Guest

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    Thanks JE,

    But, when I input that formula it appears to simply give me 4% of the salary
    regardless of the percentage column. Any thoughts? Thanks!

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    Did you fill in your percentages in column B?

    Here's my results:

    A B C
    1 100 0% 0.00
    2 100 1% 1.00
    3 100 2% 2.00
    4 100 3% 3.00
    5 100 3.2% 3.10
    6 100 4% 3.50
    7 100 5% 4.00
    6 100 6% 4.00

  5. #5
    JK
    Guest

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    Thanks, I had the formatting wrong. This is great, I appreciate your help!

  6. #6
    NY, NY
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    formula for 33% of deferrals up to 6% of compensation

  7. #7
    Forum Expert Pepe Le Mokko's Avatar
    Belgium
    MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402
    Posts
    13,443

    Re: Calculating a tiered 401k Match

    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread