Sum Product Help Needed

  1. #1
    Edgar Thoemmes
    Guest

    Sum Product Help Needed

    Hi

    I am trying to use SUMPRODUCT to sum the values of a list by 2 conditions.
    The list has a date column and a Category column and in my summary table i
    would like to summarise all entries by date and column

    Category is held in Summary!A3 and month is held in Summary!B1.

    Can anyone point out where i am going wrong?

    TIA

    =SUMPRODUCT(Expenditure!$C$2:$C$100=Summary!A3)*MONTH(Expenditure!$A$2:$A$100=MONTH(Summary!$B$1))

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Sum Product Help Needed

    First of all, it sounds like you might do better with a Pivot Table:

    http://cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm

    If you want to use SUMPRODUCT(), assuming your expenses are in
    Expenditures!B2:B100, one way:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Expenditure!$C$2:$C$100=Summary!A3),
    --(MONTH(Expenditure!$A$2:$A$100)=MONTH(Summary!$B$1)),
    Expenditure!$B$2:$B$100)

    For an explanation of the usage of "--" see

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html