How do I sum up values only in cells that are color filled?

  1. #1
    TryingExcel
    Guest

    How do I sum up values only in cells that are color filled?

    Each cell that filled with "red" represents player A, "blue" player B, etc.
    In each cell is also a score (some value). I want to total the scores for
    player A (the values in all the red cells) and player B (the values in all
    the "blue" cells), etc.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum up values only in cells that are color filled?

    Hi

    check out Chip Pearson's notes on this at
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum up values only in cells that are color filled?

    There is a solution at
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html, but note 2 things

    Firstly, if there is a worksheet change that triggers a recalculation, the
    colour count does not update. Secondly, if you change a colour of one of the
    cells, the count does not update, as a colour change does not trigger a
    recalculation.

    The former can be changed by adding 'Application Volatile' to the code. The
    second is trickier, so I tend to use a button to set a cell's colour, and
    have that button code force a recalculation.

    RP

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How do I sum up values only in cells that are color filled?

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:11:01 -0800, "TryingExcel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Each cell that filled with "red" represents player A, "blue" player B, etc.
    >In each cell is also a score (some value). I want to total the scores for
    >player A (the values in all the red cells) and player B (the values in all
    >the "blue" cells), etc.

    How does the cell get filled with a color?

    If the color is there because of conditional formatting, then you will need to
    use the same formula in your SUM(scores) formula.

    Something like =SUMPRODUCT((Player="A")*Scores)

    --ron