Help Please

  1. #1
    D. D. Scopes
    Guest

    Help Please

    I am looking for a formula that will search 2 columns for identical matches
    and when found return a value from a third colum.

    Thank you.

    DD

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    =IF(A1=B1,C1,"")

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Try

    =INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(A1:A100="Lookup1")*(B1:B100="Lookup2"),0))

    where C1:C100 contains the values (3rd column)

    You must enter this with CTRL SHIFT ENTER.

    It works by finding a 1 in the array of numbers returned by the
    A1:A100="Lookup1"*B1:B100="Lookup2". When there is not lookup1 and lookup2
    in the same row, a 0 will be returned. When they are in the same row, a 1
    will be returned, which will be matched by the 1 you're looking for, and the
    position will be used by the INDEX part to give you the number.

  4. #4
    D. D. Scopes
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Dave tried it and i gives an #N/A error.

    Say the formula is in column D.

    I am looking for it to return the value in C3 if there is a match for B3
    anywhere in column A.

    Thanks.

    DD

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Try this and copy down

    =IF(COUNTIF(A:A,B1)>0,C1,"")

  6. #6
    D. D. Scopes
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Thanks Peo:

    That did not quite do it. Let me explain again.

    Cell A1 has the name Joe Blow.

    Cell B1 has has Ford.

    Cell C250 has the name Joe Bow.

    I want the formula in D250 to search all of column A for the match to C250
    (Joe Blow) and if there is a match in cloumn A (there is in cell A1) return
    the value Ford from B1 to cell D250.

    Thanks again.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Got you! In D1 put this formula and copy down

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(C1,A:A,0)),INDEX(B:B,MATCH(C1,A:A,0)),"No Match")

  8. #8
    D. D. Scopes
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Peo:

    You are the man.

    Thank you much.

    DD

  9. #9
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    My Pleasure

  10. #10
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Help Please

    Hi Peo

    might be missing something here, but wouldn't VLOOKUP do the same?
    =VLOOKUP(C250,A1:B200,2,0)
    and with a bit of error handling
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C250,A1:B200,2,0)),"no match",VLOOKUP(C250,A1:B200,2,0))

    Cheers
    JulieD

  11. #11
    Peo Sjoblom