IF THEN function error

  1. #1
    jmcclain
    Guest

    IF THEN function error

    I am trying to write an IF THEN argument such as..

    =IF((B11-(C11:H11))=0,"YES","NO"

    Where a value of YES will be returned if the condition is = 0 and a value of
    NO will be returned if the condition is not equal to 0.

    Where B11 to G11 are input values and H11 is the result of a formula
    calculation.

    I keep getting a #Value error...

    Can anyone suggest a fix?

    Jon

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Jon

    maybe something like:

    =IF((B11-SUM(C11:H11))=0,"YES","NO")

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Are you trying to subtract the SUM of C11:H11 from B11?

    =IF(B11-SUM(C11:H11)=0,"YES","NO")

    or, equivalently:

    =IF(B11=SUM(C11:H11),"YES","NO")

    If not, what are you trying to do?

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Should have been

    =IF((B11-SUM(C11:H11))=0,"YES","NO")

  5. #5
    ddeering
    Guest

    RE: IF THEN function error

    I am having the same problem. Have you figured it out?

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Hi

    if you'ld like to type out a sample of your data and include your current
    formula i'll be happy to look at it as John McGimpsey's answer to jmcclain
    seems like it should work.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    ddeering
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    I have tried the solution offered in previous response to no avail. Perhaps
    there are additional problems with my info, however, it's seems rather silly
    that I'm having such a problem. Here is what I have:

    J10 contains: =IF(L10=0,"",J9-K9)
    L10 contains: =IF(G10=0,"",G10+H10+J10)
    G10 contains: =IF(E10=0,"",G9-F10)

    I hope you can help! Thanks!

  8. #8
    ddeering
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    H10 also has a formula.

  9. #9
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Hi

    firstly, "" in a cell, if used in another formula will return a #VALUE
    error, so my advice would be to change this to 0, additionally,
    =IF(G10=0,0,G10+H10+J10)
    should be changed to
    =IF(G10=0,0,H10+J10)
    as if G10 = 0 then you would have 0+H10+J10

    however, neither of these will solve the problem which is you have L10
    calculatating J10, which itself is based on L10 - ie a circular
    relationship - this is possible by changing the number of iterations to 1
    under tools / options / calculation - and checking the interation box - but
    i would suggest that you explore ways of restructuring your worksheet first,
    if at all possible.

  10. #10
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: IF THEN function error

    Julie

    =IF(G10=0,0,G10+H10+J10)
    should be changed to
    =IF(G10=0,0,H10+J10)
    as if G10 = 0 then you would have 0+H10+J10

    would you run that by me again ? The bit about when G10 = 0. Not with
    that.

    G10 is 0 => return 0
    G10 is not 0 => return G10+H10+J10

    Regards