How do I format email addresses as Text only?

  1. #1
    Dstess
    Guest

    How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    I have a large database with names, addresses etc. When I try to make changes
    to the email address, like change the font color or change on letter, Excel
    tries to email the address. If I click in the formula bar to make the
    changes, it automatically changes it back to all blue text and underlined. I
    have tried to format all of the cells as "Text" to show as entered, but it
    doesnt work. PLEASE HELP

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    Sneak up on it :-)

    Don't click the cell, click an adjacent cell, and then use the arrow keys to
    navigate to the cell. Change it as you wish.

    Alternatively, get to the cell in the same way and remove the hyperlink
    (Insert>Hyperlink Remove Hyperlink)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    If you left-click and hold for 2 seconds it won't do its hyperlink jump.

    The cell will remain selected for formatting/editing.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Dstess
    Guest

    Re: How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    Thank you both Bob and Gord,

    I did figure out the right click and remove hyperlink; unfortunatly, I could
    not figure out how to do all of the emails at one time, so I spent WAY too
    much time clicking each one and removing the hyperlink.

    Left click and hold could be helpful later for as new volunteers are added
    it is still changing their addresses to the hyperlink, of course I have now
    gotten use to the "right click, remove" steps so that might take just as much
    time.

    There should be a way to deactivate all hyperlinks in the spreedsheet though.

    Sneak up on it... he he he... cute one.

    Thanks again for your help.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    The quickest way that I have found, and an approach you can use in many
    other circumstances , is to use the Repeat Action function key, F4.

    Select cell A1, right-click and remove the hyperlink.
    Then use the down arrow key, and press F4,
    Repeat ad nauseum.

    You still have to select every cell, but only one right-click, and you can
    do it in a co-ordinated manner, right hand down arrow, left F4, it gets
    quite efficient.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I format email addresses as Text only?

    To remove all hyperlinks in a selection.

    Sub removeAllLinksFromSelection()
    Selection.Hyperlinks.Delete
    End Sub

    Gord