How to create a lookup table with an added varable?

  1. #1
    GIZZMO
    Guest

    How to create a lookup table with an added varable?

    I need to create a lookup formula to address two variables simultaneously,
    one a product number, the other a product date, to return a price for that
    specific product on that date. The lookup table has column headers of dates
    by quarter, e.g., 20031, 20032, and row headers of SKUs or individual product
    numbers. The table contains price data per SKU per quarter. I have a
    working table of thousands of sales by quarter for which I need to insert the
    price for that quarter. I thought a lookup table would be one way to
    automatically insert these prices.

    Any suggestions?
    Thank you

  2. #2
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: How to create a lookup table with an added varable?

    Try an INDEX and MATCH combo. Something like:

    =INDEX(your_values,MATCH(product_number,Row_Headings,0),MATCH(quater,Column_Headings,0))

    your_values will be the table of data excluding the row and column headings.
    product_number is the product you are looking up.
    quarter is the quarter you are looking up.

    For a detailed breakdown see:

    tj