Accrued Vacation

  1. #1
    Kim Campbell via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Accrued Vacation

    Hi,

    I need help creating a formula to calculate accrued vacation time. Employees earn either 1, 1.5, or 2 days of vacation time on their anniversatry date each month. How can I create a forumla that will automatically compute everyone's vacation time?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Hi

    what is the basis of whether they get 1, 1.5 or 2 days?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    I think the easiest way would be to create a table to use with VLOOKUP that
    has the required length of service (in months?) in the 1st column, and the
    number of weeks varaction in the 2nd, i.e. something like

    0 0
    6 1
    12 1.5
    36 2.0

    assuming they get no vacation until they have completed 6 months, then 1
    month, increasing to 1.5 after 12 months, and to 2 after 36 months.

    Then if you have the date of hire in, say, column B, and the above table is in
    cells K1:L4, the formula for vacation is

    =VLOOKUP(B2,$K$1:$L$4,2)

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Oops. That formula should be

    =VLOOKUP(DATEDIF(B2,TODAY(),"m"),$K$1:$L$4,2)

  5. #5
    Kim Campbell via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    It depends on how long they've been with the university.

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Hi Kim

    did Myrna's answer give you what you're looking for?

  7. #7
    Kim Campbell via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Here is an example of the spreadsheet. Maybe it will help explain what I'm looking for better:

    Start Date # of Days Earned Per Month Balance Type of Time
    9/21/1987 2 9.75 Vacation 1 80 Sick

    So in this example, the employee earns 2 vacation days on the 21st of every month. I need a forumula which will add 2 vacation days to the balance column on the 21st of every month.

    Since I'm trying to bring my department into the computer world, this is just a template, if you think a formula could easily be created from another set-up, I'd be willing to make adjustments.

    Thanks again for everyone's help!

  8. #8
    Kim Campbell via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Unfortunately not exactly, so I posted an example of the spreadsheet setup.

  9. #9
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Accrued Vacation

    Hi Kim

    one problem i can see with adding 2 days to the figure in the balance column
    on the 21st of each month is what happens if the workbook isn't opened on
    the 21st ...

    how about a system where you can enter a date (or use the current date)
    which will show how much vacation time the employee has accurred from
    engagement on at the top of a column that has "leave taken" listed and a
    figure showing the difference? would that work? or can you think of another
    way of approaching it?