How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

  1. #1
    Maclanders
    Guest

    How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

    My initial spreadsheet contains a table of information, I am trying to create
    a new spreadsheet with a cleaner version of the information. I am trying to
    use the INDEX and MATCH functions; however, to return my values I must
    consider three constants: customer, product, and date. So far I have only
    been able to find a way to use two constants. All three must be considered
    because many customers purchase a variety of products. The date is
    horizontal while customer and product are both vertical.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

    Hi!

    This is relatively easy to do but it would help if you
    could post a sample of your data and explain what data
    you're trying to extract.

    Biff

  3. #3
    Mac Landers
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

    Customer Product Jan-04 Feb-04 Mar-04 Apr-04
    U Trial BC EV
    U Trial ABC Trial
    U Trial DEG 1130 2 3
    U Trial ABC 1180 1
    MII Trial RLJ 2
    MII Trial KLW
    MII Trial DE
    MII Trial DEG 1130 3 1
    MII Trial ABC EV-Trial 9 4
    MII Trial ABC Card 1 2

  4. #4
    Mac Landers
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

    I want to extract the numbers that match the customer, product and month.
    I have two spreadsheets that will be linked. I want only data for certain
    months, but the base spreadsheet will change every month. For example: I
    want to see the next 3 months data only, thus I want to be able to create a
    smaller spreadsheet that selects only the 3 months of relevance. I want this
    function to be as automated as possible so every month in can quickly and
    easily find the months information I request. It is a 12 month outlook and I
    don't want to see all of it, just what is relevant.

    Thanks for your help and I hope this makes some sense. I am starting to
    confuse myself.

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value tha.

    Hi!

    Extracting a single months data is no problem but
    extracting more than that in a single operation as a
    single data block will take some work.

    Extracting a single months data is not difficult to do but
    might be a little complicated trying to explain. I put
    together a sample file based on your data that I could
    send you. If interested post back with an email address so
    that I can contact you.

    Biff

  6. #6
    Mac Landers
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value

    Great!
    [email protected]
    Thanks for the help.

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value

    Ok, sent the file.

    Biff

  8. #8
    Ashley
    Guest

    RE: How do I use the Match and Index functions to look up a value

    Biff,

    I have the same problem with needing to return a value based on 3 constants
    (4 really if it's possible, but I'm sure I could get away with 3). Can you
    please let me know how you helped Mac?

    Thanks-Ashley