Can VLOOKUP return multiple answers based on several identical lo.

  1. #1
    jddtct
    Guest

    Can VLOOKUP return multiple answers based on several identical lo.

    I am attempting to use the VLOOKUP command to search a column of dates and
    return data associated with each date. The column of dates which I am
    searching has multiple entries of the same date. The VLOOKUP command wants
    to only return data associated with one of the dates and ignores the
    remaining matches. Is there a way to make VLOOKUP return data associated
    with multiple matches? Is there another function that suits this requirement
    better?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Can VLOOKUP return multiple answers based on several identical lo.

    No single function. You can set up a series of formulas to look down the
    "index" column and return the row number of any matching entries. Then you
    can use the small function to successively pull out these matching row
    number, then use each to pull back the associated value. this is done with
    array functions.

    It is pretty specific to how the data is laid out. If you need more help,
    contact me at [email protected] or perhaps someone else will give you an
    assumed situation and give you a sample formula.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Can VLOOKUP return multiple answers based on several identical lo.

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$65,SMALL(IF($B$1:$B$65=I$4,ROW($A$1:$A$65)),ROW(1:1))
    array entered (ctrl + shift + enter)
    and copy the formula down
    cell A1:A65 holds the values which you want to lookup
    Cell I4 is the criteria that you want to use to search the other table
    Cell B1:B65 holds the critera in the looked up table

    Its going to give an N/a when it fininshes all the values that are looked up
    and can be hidden easily usig conditonal formatting

  4. #4
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: Can VLOOKUP return multiple answers based on several identical lo.

    You could apply a filter to the date column.
    Data > Filter > Auto filter > then choose the date you are interested in.

    Carlos