Break a link/formula but keep the data?

  1. #1
    Task Lead Nicole
    Guest

    Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    Is there any way to break (get rid of) the formulas on a sheet (which the
    data from another sheet to populate this sheet) but keep the data?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    select all such cells.

    do edit =>Copy
    then immediatly do Edit=>Paste special and select just Values.

    This will do what you describe.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Task Lead Nicole" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Trang
    Guest

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    I receive a file where the sender used a link to his own source, but he does
    not send me his source. When I open the file I can see the value of the
    linked data, but when I click either "update" or "don't update" the linked
    cell become "#NAME?" and the value disappear. How can I keep the value as
    when the file was just opened?

  4. #4

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
    versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
    prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

    Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP11.phx.gbl

    Maybe it'll work ok for you.

  5. #5
    Trang
    Guest

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    Thank you for your reply. But I do as instructed in that group and it does
    not work.
    Can you be more detailed?

  6. #6
    Trang
    Guest

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    Now it works. Thanks.

  7. #7

    Re: Break a link/formula but keep the data?

    Second time is the charm.

    Glad you got it working.