Excel Date Format - Stop?

  1. #1
    Bob
    Guest

    Excel Date Format - Stop?

    I have a table (from Word for example) that I want to copy/paste into excel.

    Example:
    ID Description
    01-01 Item 1
    02-01 Item 2
    16-01 Item 3
    17-01 Item 4

    The format of the cells for items 1&2 ID field will always default to a date
    - Excel will show "1-Jan" instead of the "01-01" that was in the original
    table. If I change the format of the cells to text after pasting I get the
    serial number value for the date. I can't get back to the 01-01 without
    manually reentering the data. The pasting of items 3 & 4 will work without
    error. How can I keep the data as shown in my original table?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel Date Format - Stop?

    Bob

    Pre-format the cells in Excel to Text before the paste step.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Bob
    Guest

    Re: Excel Date Format - Stop?

    Thanks for the reply. Pre-formatting does not fix the problem. "01-01" is
    still pasted as "1-Jan" as an example...

  4. #4
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    Re: Excel Date Format - Stop?

    Paste Special | Text worked for me using Excel 2003.

    I also was able to use the Paste Options Button to Match Destination
    Formatting, if I had preformatted the cells as text. Paste Options pops up
    directly after you Past in Excel 2002 or later.

    tj

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel Date Format - Stop?

    I copied your example text from the original post to an Excel sheet with
    column A formatted as text.

    The 01-01 and 02-01 copied in as such.

    Hang in. Maybe someone else can supply a suggestion.

    Gord

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:37:07 -0800, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply. Pre-formatting does not fix the problem. "01-01" is
    >still pasted as "1-Jan" as an example...
    >
    >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
    >
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> Pre-format the cells in Excel to Text before the paste step.
    >>
    >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:33:02 -0800, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a table (from Word for example) that I want to copy/paste into excel.
    >> >
    >> >Example:

    ID Description
    01-01 Item 1
    02-01 Item 2