dating problems!

  1. #1
    Jose Mourinho
    Guest

    dating problems!

    I recieve date information in text format...i.e. "01-JAN-2005", but would
    like to convert it to an Excel format date.

    I have seen it done before by using a function to split the text into parts
    (getting excel to read the cell as DD-MMM-YYYY) and output the result using
    DAY, MONTH, YEAR function. No idea how to do this though.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: dating problems!

    =A1*1

    and format as date.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Jose Mourinho
    Guest

    Re: dating problems!

    "01-JAN-2005"*1 returns #VALUE!

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: dating problems!

    Jose,

    The formula Jason provided fails because you have double quotes around your
    string values.

    Simply select your date values, and use Edit / Replace and replace double
    quotes with nothing. Excel will then convert the values to dates.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jose Mourinho
    Guest

    Re: dating problems!

    I didn't have the dates in brackets (just used "them" in the post) but it got
    me thinking and I checked the sheets again. It turns out that I have a space
    before the each date <SPACE>01-JAN-2005. Problem solved! Thanks for the help.