SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

  1. #1
    Iain Halder
    Guest

    SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    Hello,

    I have a worksheet where I need to be able to calculate various totals
    but initially based on dates firstly just by the month on e one sheet
    (ie Jan, Feb, Mar, etc) and secondly by week on another sheet (ie 1st
    Jan to 7th Jan, 8th Jan to 14th Jan, etc) through the entire year in 7
    day increments.

    Below is an example of what I am doing using SUMPRODUCT.

    =(SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!N1406:N1499="A&E"),--(DATA!S1406:S1499="Admitted
    Unit")))+(SUMPRODUCT(--(DATA!N1406:N1499="RATU"),--(DATA!S1406:S1499="Admitted
    to Unit")))

    The numbers 1406:1499 constantly repeated for various columns actually
    represents those parts of the worksheet which correspond to between
    dates.

    The reality is that whenever I want a total I have to look at the raw
    data sheet and manually count the rows between the dates I want and
    then manually insert these numbers into the final worksheets.
    Sometimes new data appears from weeks ago which then has to be
    included. So I re-count manually for that week and then have to
    recount for all the intervening weeks from then to the present. As you
    can imagine it gets very tedious.

    I need a way of doing the above sumproduct'ing but just have the
    ability to insert from and to dates instead. this way the worksheet is
    more automated (and accurate).

    Hope I have explained this OK.

    Thanks in advance!

    Iain Halder
    Rescued Cats & Kittens Needing Homes

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    If I understand what you're looking to do,

    Say your dates are in Column B, and the entire data list is in rows 10 to
    3000.

    Enter you're starting date to look up in A1, and you're ending date in A2.

    Then try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((DATA!B10:B3000>=A1)*(DATA!B10:B3000<=A2)*(DATA!N10:N3000={"A&E"
    ,"RATU"})*(DATA!S10:S3000="AdmittedtoUnit"))
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    Iain,

    Not sure this is all too clear.

    Do you mean that you have dates across columns and you need to count the
    incidences in those columns, across worksheets, or just down the rows.

    And by new data, do you mean it extends 1406:1499, or the columns?

    Can you give some sample data?

    RP

  4. #4
    Iain Halder
    Guest

    Re: Re: SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    The dates are in one column only A01:A100, say ...

    I need to know how many occurences of any other items in any other
    column occured over 01:100 between given dates.

    A B C
    DATE SOURCE MOVEMENT
    23/05/04 RATU Admitted to Unit
    30/06/05 A&E Discharged

    There are around 2000 rows of data and growing ....

    * How many admissions came into the Unit via RATU between startdated
    and enddate?

    * How many admissions came into the Unit via A&E between startdated
    and enddate?

    These figures I obtain by manually typing in the starting row of a
    start date and the ending row of the end date. I want to be able to
    automate the process by getting the worksheet to use dates directly.

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Re: SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    Have you tried the formula that I suggested?

    Substitute your cell references and it should give you total combined
    admissions for the dates you specify, which is what the formula you posted
    did (added them together).

    To break out the admissions separately between "RATU" and "A&E", just make 2
    separate formulas:

    =SUMPRODUCT((DATA!A10:A3000>=A1)*(DATA!A10:A3000<=A2)*(DATA!N10:N3000="RATU"
    )*(DATA!S10:S3000="AdmittedtoUnit"))

    =SUMPRODUCT((DATA!A10:A3000>=A1)*(DATA!A10:A3000<=A2)*(DATA!N10:N3000="A&E")

  6. #6
    Iain Halder
    Guest

    Re: Re: SUMPRODUCT ON DATES

    Hi,

    Your solution of obtaining the dates worked very well on my worksheet!

    Thank you for your help there, I appreciate it!!!

    Iain Halder

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest