hyperlink error: "Cannot open the specified file"

  1. #1
    Kate Choi
    Guest

    hyperlink error: "Cannot open the specified file"

    Using excel 2002 in XP and when trying to create a hyperlink using the
    worksheet function I get the following message:

    "Cannot open the specified file"

    I'm sure my syntax is correct and just to make sure, I
    even created a workbook called "Budget" and copied the Microsoft help
    example:

    =HYPERLINK("[Budget]June!E56", E56)

    and still got that message.
    I can hyperlink each cell by right clicking and creating one, but I have a
    lot of hyperlinks to do and using the function would be much more efficient.

    What could be the problem?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: hyperlink error: "Cannot open the specified file"

    I think I'd build the link for when the workbook is closed:

    =HYPERLINK('C:\My Documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1,"a")

    worked ok for me.