Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

  1. #1
    lightninbug
    Guest

    Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    Hello,
    I have seen this done with conditional formatting, where the top ten values
    in a column are highlighted, But for the life of me I can not come up with a
    formula to do it. Does anyone know a formula for this? Thanks so much.

  2. #2
    Tim C
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    Try:

    =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$20)<=10

    Tim C

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    Assuming the values are in B1:B15, this should do it

    =B1>=LARGE($B$1:$B$15,10)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    oops, forget that, it is the top n where n = the count-9

    RP

  5. #5
    lightninbug
    Guest

    RE: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    Thanks Tim, I tried this and I did not get it to work
    and
    Thanks Bob, I tried the first formula and can not get it to work, and I am
    not sure how you meant fo rme to edit it with you second response.

    So anymore things to try? : )

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    I think I was suggesting you forget mine altogether, and use the other one
    (that does work) :-).

    Bob

  7. #7
    lightninbug
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten value

    Ok - I'll keep working with Tim's formula - I must be doing something wrong
    since I can not get it to work. Thanks So Much! Have a great day : )

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten value

    Really? I tried Tim's and it worked great for me.

    What does the data look like, and what is your exact formula?

  9. #9
    lightninbug
    Guest

    RE: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten values i.

    How very strange you are right it does work on one of my xsheets, but will
    not work on the other. Why would that be? In both xsheets the column where I
    want to highlight the top are dollar values. Have any ideas?

  10. #10
    lightninbug
    Guest

    RE: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten value

    The spreadsheet that it works on is about 32 colums and 400 rows of
    vendor/article information with the last column being the Dollar value of the
    product .

    The other wher it does nto work, is 3 columns by 100 rows with an article
    number, a site and total dollar value in that last column
    I am trying to rank the top ten articles by dollar, as the list is to be
    kept in article order.... ( otherwise it would be easier to just sort and
    have the ten at the top....)

  11. #11
    lightninbug
    Guest

    RE: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten value

    DUHHH -
    Thanks for your patience Bob! In formula that did not work, my reference
    number was still absolute! And Tim, my apologies this was so simple I should
    have got it!

    Have a great day!

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need conditional formatting formula to highlight top ten value

    Glad you cracked it.

    Bob